Follow us:

The Curaçao Difference

image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image

Landhuizen

Landhuizen (Country Houses)

1.3.3.0 image

Curaçao Landhuizen, built in the 18th and 19th centuries, are usually former plantation houses. There used to be a 100 such small plantations on Curaçao. Their names are still in use as place names, such as Pannekoek, Dokterstuin, Kenepa ,Brievengat, and so on. The central pivot of each plantation was the landhuis, where the master lived with his house slaves. Situated around the country house were the store houses and the huts of the slaves, who were set to work on the land or in the salterns.

The villas were usually situated on a hill so that the land and the neighboring villas were within sight. They were raised from coral with the addition of some brick stone details. The high saddle roofs were made with Dutch tiles, leading the rainwater to detached brick built collectors. A surprisingly large number of these colonial homes has survived the ages. About 55 of these landhouses are still to be found, in different conditions, scattered around our island.

The following Curacao Landhuizen are open for public viewing:

The ascension plantation was founded in 1672. The plantation is located on the grounds of a former Indian village. The high location of the unique colonial home does not only serve as an optional utilization...

Landhuis Blauw

Anno Blauw founded the plantation ca.1700. He stayed on the island only for a short time, but his name is still very much alive. On this plantation among other things, blue dye was produced. In an old...

Landhuis Brakkeput Mei Mei

The name 'Brakke Put' means: a well with brackish water. The plantation was used for cattle raising and to grow maishi chikitu (corn) and beans as a food supply for the cattle and the slaves who worked...

Landhuis Brievengat

This landhouse dates from about 1750 and was one of the largest and most prominent, with 500 hectares, where aloe was grown and cattle were bred. In 1877 it was devastated by a hurricane. The house had...

Landhuis Chobolobo

Enjoy the real Blue Curacao at Landhuis Chobolobo

Blue Curacao is definitely one of the most famous liqueurs in the world. But did you know that we produce this liqueur, in the traditional way, here on...

Landhuis Daniel

Plantation Daniel was established around 1650. Tradition has it that it was built by a castaway who washed ashore on St. Daniel’s day. According to others the plantation was named after Daniel Ellis...

Landhuis Dokterstuin

This landhouse, restored in 1996, is almost opposite Landhuis Ascension on the weg naar Westpunt. Plantation Dokterstuin was already in use In the 17th century. The landhouse was probably built at the...

Landhuis Groot Davelaar

The odd colonial home Groot Davelaar was built ca. 1865 by the revolutionary Venezuelan refugee Guzman Blanco, who later became the president of Venezuela. The plantation Groot (big) Davelaar was actually...

One of the oldest and largest villas on Curacao was built in at the ens of the 17th century. There used to be a plantation here of 554 hectares. Untill the beginning of the 19th century it was a sugar...

Former Plantation House 'Landhuis Habaai' (Habaai Mansion) is one of the most beautiful of the Curaçao 'Landhouses'.

Build at the beginning of the 18th century, it is also one of the oldest on the island....

Landhuis Jan Kok

One of the oldest land houses on the island is Jan Kok. The landhouse was built in 1840 to replace the one built in the beginning of the 18th century. The central section has a high sadle roof and there...

You have to go 800 m inland from Jeremi bay to reach Jeremi-Newtown, built on the grounds of the former plantation lagoon, in a valley.There are four buildings which are on a east-west line. According...

The colonial home of the former plantation Klein Santa Martha was built before 1700 and is located on top of a small hill northeast of Sta. Martha Bay.

The view from the porch in the front over the Sta....

Landhuis Knip

Land house Kenepa was named after the fruits of the Kenepatree. The country house dates from the beginning of the 18th century. It was once one of the most prosperous plantations on the island. Produce...

The view from Raphael on Klein and Groot Piscadera is splendid. The colononial home is located against a hill with a barn and a pittoresque villagesquare.

The plantation Raphael used to have a pretty large...

The plantation at PortoMari, which covers an area of 594 hectares, has a history that can be traced back to 1684 when the government first gave permission to raise livestock there. The land house (or country...

This plantation, nearly 75 acres, was originally called 'Rust en Vree' (Peace and quiet). The plantation was in the neighbourhood of Rooi Catootje. The colonial home was built ca. 1820 and was used as...

The plantation San Juan was built in 1662 and is located between the plantations Cas Abou and Santa Martha. Early in the 17th century maize, sugar-cane, cotton and indogo were grown and live stock was...

Landhuis Savonet

Plantation Savonet was one of the first plantations on Curaçao and together with Plantation Zorgvlied, covered nearly 4000 acres of the land. It supplied wool, maize, pulses, meat and wood (as a raw material...

On the road to WestPoint, passing landhuis Daniel and opposite to Terra Cora, hidden in the Kunuku (wild), is the colonial home Siberië. The plantation was named after Siberio Cafiero, who, together with...

Plantation home Santa Barbara was built in 1662 and was one of the largest colonial homes on Curaçao with an area of nearly 3000 acres. There was mixed agriculture and a fairly large live stock. Santa...

Landhuis Zeelandia

The beautifully located colonial home Zeelandia is not an actual plantation home, but was more of a country retreat for the well-to-do townspeople. The house was completed in two parts during the second...

Zuikertuintje (meaning little sugar garden) used to be a country house for townspeople. There possibly was a little green garden in which sugar cane was grown on modest scale. There are three dormers on...